Poor sleep or a lack of sleep has many negative effects on children and their parents.
- Cognition: They are less concentrated and alert, and may have memory problems.
- Behaviour: They are more irritable, hyperactive, and impulsive.
- Emotion: They experience violent outburst and negative moods.
- Physical health: They have a higher risk of becoming overweight or obese.
For new parents:
- Daytime fatigue may lead to mood changes, marital conflicts, and less effective parenting.
It’s important to treat sleep problems in children early; over the long term, they can lead to behavioural and mood problems, suboptimal cognitive development and obesity.